When I was younger, I told my mom that I wanted to be a psychiatrist. She told me that I cannot be a psychiatrist in Togo and be financially independant like medical doctors, there went my dream crashing…
Now that I am grown and I can analyze my possibilities, I don’t think that I am cut out to be a psychiatrist but I can still develop a career around mental health… My goal is to make, every young person that I can reach, love and accept him or herself. I couldn’t think of a better place to begin than the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. If I can put a smile on young person’s face or make him or her have a positive thought, through the tasks that I will complete this summer, I have achieved my personal goal.
At my fieldwork experience, I hope to be able to apply and practice public health research skills and data collection methods learned during coursework in a real-world setting. By the end of my experience, I hope to gain experience with public health oriented data analysis and presentation and gain exposure to a community and a specific organization’s environment, culture and purposes. I also hope to develop professional judgment and contacts, strengthen existing skills and learn new ones. My hope is that by the time I complete my internship, I am confident about what I envision my career to be like. I will perform the following tasks in order to reach my professional goal:
- I will work at least 6 hours three days a week with the online communications manager on the “you matter” project
- I will identify the target population, their needs, concerns and the assets that are available and that are related to health.
- I will use social media (Facebook, YouTube, Tumblr, etc.) effectively to provide health information and services to the youth that struggles with emotional distress and suicide ideation.
- I will develop writing skills by blogging on mental health issues among youth.
- I will improve on my cultural competency by writing respectful and culturally sensitive statements on suicide and mental health.
It will be a challenging time for me, working non-stop and seeing my summer go by but I know that it will all be worth it…
Human progress is neither automatic nor inevitable… Every step toward the goal of justice requires sacrifice, suffering, and struggle; the tireless exertions and passionate concern of dedicated individuals. Martin Luther King, Jr.